'You' Bluffed 'Us'

 'YOU' BLUFFED 'US'

-ISHANA GHOSH



'This' is not a request.

I remember, as a child,
how you taught me
values like honesty and bravery
and I took them so seriously.
When you said, 'Hurting others is bad',
I really thought that you meant it.
When you said, 'Help others...',
I believed that to you,
that was the right thing to do.
And when you said,
'It's wrong to be self-centered
and it's right to care',
I naively imagined that,
'that' was what you wanted
to see, in the grown-up me.
And so, I grew up,
expecting a world, where
flowers bloomed in a beautiful scenery.
But of course, we all know,
what actually happened.
Each of us stepped out
of the world of innocence,
to find what was awaiting us,
was a world, governed by treachery,
where malice comes cheaper than purity,
if you want to survive.
And so, we had to find out the hard way
that the bad men we hear of,
are actually souls like us,
bent out of shape,
and there's a chance of 
us, turning into them.
So, here we are today,
wanting things to change, and
wanting to change things,
but feeling helpless all over again.
You, the world, is responsible for this
and you, the world, must change.
The duty of fulfilling the promises
you made, to the little ones you raised,
is on your shoulders alone.
So bring us that world
which you once promised,
bring us the peace we seek.
Show us, that all of it wasn't a bluff
and you didn't preach something,
you yourself didn't properly believe.
Help us see, that
you can be trusted again.
Help us believe, that
life is not a race or a game.

And this, which I ask of you,
'this' is not a request.

______________-

Comments