Over and Again

Over And Again

-Ishana Ghosh


Sick of crying, and
tired of wiping my cheeks
time and again,
to rub those stains 
that are left by pain.
Your words don't make me cry
anymore; like an injured pup
'cause time stands witness
to that pup growing into a fierce dog,
whom if you hurt,
it will come back at you,
barking and growling,
out of the dirt.
And I know very well,
that you'll never understand
and that you'll never ever
see through my point of view.
And that your words,
even if they're framed casually,
will be like hard blows,
meant to cripple me down
'cause you'll never get
what it is like,
for me to hear them through.
And slowly, very slowly,
I'm beginning to realise
that my soft heart's no more soft;
your blows have hardened it alright
and so, when the cycle repeats
and you hurt me again,
my inside burns with rage
and I don't tear up that easily
as by then, I'm used to feeling pain.
And to be honest,
I no more deserve
to say that you hurt me
because last time you did that,
I forgave you.
I forgave you,
inspite of knowing it well
that you didn't really ask for forgiveness;
in fact, you weren't made
to realise, why to?
I remember so well
how I had cried all evening
that day, and I had 
made up my mind
never to talk to you hence,
and that night, I was so determined.
But I soon let go of the ego
and I talked to you
like nothing ever happened,
all the while knowing
that you'll never really get rid
of the habit of saying things
without thinking them through.
And I know in my heart,
that as many times you do that,
I will have to forgive you
'cause don't you see?
Don't you get it really
how much it means to me
to have you in my life...
You're the world I revolve around,
you're so special that
without you, I'm not sound.
And your care and support,
they mean the world to me.
I love you, more than 
you could ever love me.
Don't you really see?
And just because of that,
the hurt is so much more
'cause the same words,
when said by a close one,
who is actually supposed to understand,
hits quite differently
than when they are said
by someone who's not connected
to the expectations of the heart.
And that is why,
even if you hurt me again
with your sharp tongue,
even if I become broken
and can't stand up,
I'll always come back to you
and pretend it never happened.

_______

Comments