Pretty Strange


Pretty Strange

-Ishana Ghosh



It is pretty strange
How hours can seem like months
when we do not talk
And when we do start talking,
Each hour we spend on phone
seems no longer than a second.
It is pretty strange
How I can wreck my head over a petty issue
Striving not to admit the reality
That the absence of that voice
is what is killing me
And even though that person
Is just one call away,
I can't bring myself to dial the number,
I can't bring myself to admit 
That I am incomplete without my other half
That I can't live all by myself...
It is pretty strange
How I can never bring myself to ask
If I am as valued as I value,
Or if my absence would really matter 
And yet ...
I try to convince myself
That what I think is true.
Even so, it doesn't really matter
Whether you think of me as I think of you
'cause the bond that exists,
No doubt exists.
It doesn't take words to strengthen it anew.
But again, it is pretty strange
How a person like me
Could've met a wonder like you
I wonder if it was sheer luck
That I got rid of an island existence
To be made complete
And be rewarded with such a bond concrete.
But there are so many times
When I am fear stricken
And deeply agonised, 
'cause I know the time is near
when we will have to part ways
and walk our own journey,
fight our own battles.
What then?
Will I be able to survive
In a world full of strangers...
How am I supposed to go on
When my other half's not with me
How am I supposed to figure out
How to get rid of the agony?
Tell me how...
It is at times like this
that I wish the world was not so big.
Days on end we could spend together
And maybe, just maybe...
It wouldn't be half as bad...
Whatever it may be,
Nothing can make me deny
That there was a time
When you were the reason
I pulled myself through each day,
And nothing can make me not admit
That your silent presence is all it takes
To make me myself
And make me want to stay.
But no doubt,
All of it is pretty strange...

____

Comments